Author Topic: Why do phone apps need my information?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
Why do phone apps need my information?
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:01 AM »
 Hi, everyone, I've noticed that many of the Android apps I have on my phone have updates that ask for new permissions that seem unnecessary. Why does Torch need to have access to my contacts?

Or why does Delta Air Lines need permission to access to my camera? Seems like every phone app these days wants some information from me or information stored on my phone Am I being paranoid or is it OK to give these types of permissions to well known and not so well known companies? I personally do not give any permission, and if the app fails to work then off with its head.

What do you do?
If you work for these app companies, can you tell us why you want this information?

Mess with the Best, Die like the rest.

Please do not “PM” me for support unless I have asked you to do so, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored.

Offline Rwolf

• Regular
  • Speaker of the House
Re: Why do phone apps need my information?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
I still use a can & string phone mostly, but I've played with the Androids and I have noted these things myself.
There are some reasons given by specific programs, but if unsure you might control them with special tools.

Here are some similar thoughts from 2013, and blocking tools described:
https://lifehacker.com/5991099/why-does-this-android-app-need-so-many-permissions

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
Re: Why do phone apps need my information?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
I suspect it's mainly marketing purposes, but I am of the belief that if you want to know what I like then ask me and if I want to tell you then mabye I will.