Author Topic: Where did the Teamspeak 3 display go?  (Read 33 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
Where did the Teamspeak 3 display go?
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:03:00 AM »
Due to the high costs of bandwidth, displaying the Teamspeak 3 server on this website has risen to almost £10 / €11.30 / U.S. $12.87 per month, multiply by 12 to get the annual bill. This is mainly due to refresh every 2 minutes and irresponsible people refreshing every 30 seconds waiting to see who's about.
Having found that members are not using the Teamspeak in favour of another speech program, I have to say it was very disappointing indeed.
As now the modern games and arena's that we play on provide in game speech I am tempted to down the Teamspeak server altogether as it appears to be redundant. This in turn will release a laptop (I5 class) to a good home and save money.
This is not a decision I have taken lightly, but paying for something that is not being used is disheartening.

Mess with the Best, Die like the rest.

Please do not “PM” me for support unless I have asked you to do so, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored.

Offline Zilverling

• TG Member
  • Resident
Re: Where did the Teamspeak 3 display go?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
You want to stop the TG Teamspeak?

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
You want to stop the TG Teamspeak?

It's something to consider as it's not being used, but the abuses that were occurring has brought about the decision to remove it from the website. Most Teamspeak displays are refreshed every 10-15 minutes, I had it set to 2 minutes refresh and that was fine but people come to the site and hit refresh several times during the 2 minutes interval.

What happens is this:-

The website will poll the Teamspeak server and do some security and handshake, it will then receive the list of channels who is in the channels and then display this on the website. By hitting F5 or clicking refresh/reload this above actions and process repeats itself, so if someone every 5-10 seconds does this the website is sending data to the server and in turn the server sends all it's data back to the website and then displays it every 5-10 seconds. The effect of this is using unnecessary bandwidth and making the server busy and the website busy just doing this operation and not serving users in the Teamspeak server.

In layman's terms it's like running a car at high revs that is stationary and using up Petrol and not going anywhere, and that is just plain stupid, there are many users going to site just to do that as they are aware of the effects and probably do it to make the site or server go down (It won't), this I can tolerate but not when users are using another speech service and it's not being used and getting these abuses. So hence it's removed from the website site is in operation as a speech server.

If it continues not to be used then it will come down and release the laptop it's running on as all games now have a means to talk to each other through them.

I hope this explains things. Zap.

Offline Zilverling

• TG Member
  • Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
Ok I Understand I mis the people on the TG squad  and teamspeak  too

Offline RR SNAKE UK

• Conversationalist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:14:01 AM »
Hi guys.

I see your TS3 has been cut down in size ( game slots ), I can see why this has been done due to the lack of people coming
in to play and chat. This is not good because we have the same problem on Ratchetes Rebels TS 3, very few people use it now
on a regular basis. I am on there nearly every day in the hope of seeing somebody to chat to, but not much luck.
I would hate to see our TS3 and yours go all together, we would loose contact with those who do want to use it.
Also our forums web site is changing location, I do not know the new address yet but will let you know when I do.
Paul 

The following users thanked this post: Zaphod

Offline Zilverling

• TG Member
  • Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
I hope one day we all use 1 teamspeak, and have rooms for different servers,
but I am affraid it's not feasable

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
but I am affraid it's not feasable
Why not?

Offline Flame

• Super-Admin
  • Speaker of the House
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 04:25:31 PM »
Ok I Understand I mis the people on the TG squad  and teamspeak  too
The teamspeak is still online.

Offline Zilverling

• TG Member
  • Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »
I would like that it can be done, but then al the server owners must be agreed and make one
it would be great
 Flame the server is stil there
 but a lot of the gamerooms in it are gone

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:41:19 PM »
Hi guys.

I see your TS3 has been cut down in size ( game slots ), I can see why this has been done due to the lack of people coming
in to play and chat. This is not good because we have the same problem on Ratchetes Rebels TS 3, very few people use it now
on a regular basis. I am on there nearly every day in the hope of seeing somebody to chat to, but not much luck.
I would hate to see our TS3 and yours go all together, we would loose contact with those who do want to use it.
Also our forums web site is changing location, I do not know the new address yet but will let you know when I do.
Paul 

All the other games have built in chat, Ratchet has probably done the same thing for the same reasons I did. When XP was no longer supported by Teamspeak and is being shunned(a bad move in my opinion), Firefox although do not officially support XP they still have legacy versions as they are aware that people who are in the know despise Win10 and Micro$ofts stranglehold on users and will not leave XP until it fails. I only downgraded to Win10 because my new PC cannot run on anything other than 8.1 upwards hence my downgrade to Windows 10 (NT not windows).

You will find most people aren't on because they are using a chat program called Mumble and for that reason it's a slap in the face for those who provide services free like Teamspeak server. Think of it this way: You provide meat and two vegetables for those who are hungry, you do this out of your own pocket and using your free time to do so, but because some folks knives and forks are of no use they go to Macdonalds instead, so you cut down on the free food or stop it completely and find you have more money and more importantly TIME and less effort keeping it going.

Offline Zaphod

• Administrator
  • Never shuts up
    • Exocet's Silo
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
I would like that it can be done, but then al the server owners must be agreed and make one
it would be great
 Flame the server is stil there
 but a lot of the gamerooms in it are gone

The rooms that remain are there as no mechanism for speech are available in those games, the others however have speech built in so for a server to have many rooms with bandwidth associated to them is just plain crazy more so when players elect to use a different program. If your kit is not good enough then get out of the Kitchen, if people didn't upgrade we would still be using telephones with a cloth covered cable connected to the handset, or go with progress and use a phone that stays in your pocket and you can drive to another town and still use your own phone.
Another trait I have noticed is the shout box is being used as a messenger service, so should I shutdown the forums and only have a shoutbox?