Author Topic: My Ping stinks, whats going on  (Read 558 times)

Offline RWRamo

• Regular
  • Speaker of the House
My Ping stinks, whats going on
« on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »
As you know there is always something up with the net.

Perhaps a backbone has gone down and switched over to a different packet route.  This will cause your ping to go through the roof.

ponchowest

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:55:19 PM »
OK, remind me what a Packet Route is and where to change it. I recall seeing something about packets on the Ethernet card settings in control panel and then on my router, so which one to I change.

I found out that I'm not getting what I'm paying for on my broadband speed. I should be getting up to 500kb and I'm not getting half of that most of the time so I guess it's time to call Cableone, last time I did I got a boost for about a month then it went back down. Maybe 50-100 people in this whole town use broadband so I know it's not due to traffic.

Offline RWRamo

• Regular
  • Speaker of the House
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »
I forgot if Tayhas has a state corporation commission and or if it regulates communications services.  A quick call to the state attorney generals office will tell you who regulates your cable based data communications provider.

Minimally I would think your open for parlay with an avaricious attorney for a non delivery of service suit.

Gather up another 30 pissed abused users and file a class action for 20 million punitive.

Alternatively monitor your bandwidth and scream rape everytime it drops under your contracted rate.  I have some dim recolection of a simple background monitor that keeps tabs of that and will alarm at a set percent below a set rate. IE 2% and it blinks and logs its duration.  Where I saw it.  That is truly a lost mystery.

Packet stream. Hmmm. If your stuff is going into Houston center, over Dallas' Aggie haven, Down to Orlando, Over to DARPA, Down to OU, out to UCLA, into NovaWorld.  Your packet route stinks.

Relog into the net and see if it builds a more direct packet route.

ponchowest

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 07:53:29 PM »
I used to have Geo Trace that did a good job at tracing an IP address and I know I have a program like your talking about some place arong here, just need to find what CD it's on, that or run over to Tucows and see what they have for free.

Now that I have the city web site up and running I can get visitors to post their download speed and if we find that a number of us are running into the same slow speeds then we can ban together and force Cableone to deal with it.